Periodontal Therapy Makes Smiles Brighter in Burleson
Periodontal disease (also known as gum disease) is one of the most common health conditions in the United States, as well as the leading cause of tooth loss. In addition to dental problems, this condition has been linked through research to higher risks of heart attack and premature births. All in all, it’s definitely no laughing matter – that’s why Dr. Jay Oza and the rest of our team here at Marvel Dental take this threat so seriously. If we discover any indications of periodontal disease during your routine appointments, we provide personalized therapy options to restore much-needed health and effectively treat damage. Contact our Burleson, TX practice today to schedule a visit!
In many cases, the symptoms of periodontal disease may be too subtle for patients to notice until later on, which makes routine check-ups and cleanings at our practice even more crucial. However, there are some tell-tale signs that you can still look out for when brushing and flossing at home. These include:
- Your gums bleed, especially when brushing or flossing as part of your oral hygiene routine.
- Your gums are very tender, excessively red, or swollen.
- You’re experiencing significant bad breath that lingers even after brushing/flossing/using mouthwash.
- You have teeth that appear longer (a sign of receding gum tissue).
- Your bite feels different or looser.
Gingivitis is the early stage of gum disease creating mild symptoms like slight redness and swelling in the gum line. This condition is typically painless, and with proper professional maintenance, any damage can be reversed. Dr. Oza will recommend that patients undergo an in-depth cleaning with our team, as well as instructions on how to more effectively floss and brush at home. If gingivitis is not properly cared for or left untreated entirely, it will develop into a much more severe form known as periodontitis.
Periodontitis occurs when inflammation has reached the soft tissue that supports the teeth themselves causing bone loss. While this level of periodontal disease is no longer reversible, our team at Marvel Dental can help revitalize your condition and maintain it with the following services:
- Scaling and root planing – This thorough cleaning will involve our time removing bacterial deposits from below the gum line and smoothing away rough surfaces on the roots. This will reduce your periodontal pockets and help reduce the infection you’re experiencing to a more manageable level.
- Arestin therapy – Dr. Oza may recommend using arestin therapy in conjunction with scaling and root planing. This antibiotic is placed into the gum pockets to kill harmful bacteria and protect the area from further accumulation.
- Surgical intervention – In very severe cases of periodontal disease, surgical care may become necessary. When faced with this situation, we’ll recommend you to an excellent specialist in the area.